Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Reminded Of The Importance Of Calorie Intake

I know it in my head. I've preached it here. I've devoted an entire blog post to it. It's the first part of the little slogan at the top of this blog, and with good reason. However, over the last few weeks I strayed a bit from the simple concept that I need to watch my calorie intake even when I'm eating healthy foods and exercising heavily

In the two weeks prior to this one, I completed runs of 17 miles and 20 miles. I missed none of the runs from my marathon training plan. I supplemented the running with exercise biking and strength training sessions, all fairly intense. Over that time I ate exactly one dish that would be considered out of bounds in relation to the way I've eaten for the last 9-ish months--a squash casserole on Thanksgiving Day. And over those two weeks, I managed to gain around 12 pounds, simply by eating too much healthy food. I was indiscriminately grabbing bowls of greek yogurt with too many almonds and/or walnuts, grabbing extra helpings of turkey (no skin, no gravy,) and generally just slacking off from the level of tracking of what I eat that I've gotten used to.

I'm not fretting about it, and in the big scheme of things, it's no big deal. The trend has already started to reverse this week. I've logged everything for the last few days and have dropped from 183.6 to 180.5, and I fully expect to be back down in the lower 170s by the end of this month. However, I thought I'd just put this quick post up to remind myself and my readers that for many of us, exercise and eating the "right" foods isn't enough. The slogan at the top is in that order for a reason: eat less, eat healthier, exercise more.

3 comments:

  1. Well even the best of us get off track like this occasionally. The good news is that you recognized what you were doing and corrected the course of action. I have no doubt you will be back on the lower end of 170 very soon...keep inspiring me to continue on my course of eating healthy and getting my exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for not only sharing your success but for also sharing the times you fall off of the track. I am in a similar situation, where I fell off the track around Thanksgiving and I beat myself up about it. Your realness makes me remember that we are not perfect, nor will we ever be. When we fall we just have to get back up and start it over again. You are an inspiration to me, thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that it's VERY difficult to sustain the mental discipline necessary to keep eating right when you are within 10 pounds of the goal weight. I don't know why, but I've been struggling with this exact scenario for about a year now. It's about sustaining discipline one day at a time, I guess.

    ReplyDelete